So, I wanted a blog.
I watched an old episode of "Gilmore Girls" today...I used to joke that my mom and I were oh-too-much like Lorelai and Rory in different ways...we are both 50/50 Lorelai/Rory...in some ways I am the quiet, intellectual, innocently naive Rory of early episodes yet I also relate to her rebellion stage (and mine totally happened the same time hers did), when she got a little rough around the edges, looking for something more substantial and adult to define her life. Yet I am also stubborn, sarcastic, bubbly to the point of annoyance when caffeinated, and sometimes obstinately independent...like Lorelai.
When my boyfriend was over this weekend, my mom said I acted all girly around him. And it made me think, and I discussed this train of thought with him. I am not used to having both boyfriend + parents around, so the two worlds kinda collided when all four of us were together. He was assembling and connecting our tv/cable/xbox/dvd/bluray/surround sound. My dad was putting everything into position. My mom and I did little things to help, little things around the house, and ordered food. The 'feminist' I was in high school would object to this traditional division of labor, but I digress....
So my mom said I was girly, which made me think...like I said. I have a few different sides, and I think we all do. Is it weird that I don't think my own parents have seen them all? They've probably seen all but the sides I have with my boyfriend and/or friends. There's the academic scholarly me who delegates in group projects and usually has the answer the professor asks. There's the professional camp-counselor/future teacher side of me who double knots kids' shoes and asks them to please run slower or else they'll fall. There's the gentler, compassionate side of me with my pets and grandparents - the soft voice, the tender mannerisms...The doting daughter side who tries to show that yes, I can be a grownup... buuuut sometimes I kinda fail. All of these my parents have seen.
They've seen me with friends, but if they've seen me with them it's at a time when I know they're there...so I don't swear like I do (dropping a few bombs in everyday convo), I definitely try to cover any sexual jokes, and I try to present myself as the more mature of my friends (and I don't know why I do that last part). But when my parents aren't there, I am usually the thinker of my friends, the planner, and I am rarely the spontaneous one. I like to have my sundays planned by at the latest thursday. And I am mature, but if the crowd gets rowdy I usually do too...Unless of course I am paranoid that one of my students or their parents will see me...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment