Monday, August 24, 2009

Radical Romance

My new English class (honors...smile) asks us to look at popular culture via relationships as portrayed in various mediums...Day one we are asked "what is love?" and I am interested to see how my opinion/definition changes over the course of the semester. My raw answer, day one, goes something like this...

It is patience and understanding. Compassion. Honesty. Sharing a soul. Finding that other half, and wanting to share the soul but not necessarily needing that soul to survive. Sharing time and conversation and values. Laughter. Empathy. Commitment. Sometimes it's raw and primitive, animalistic. It's knowing that someone else out there can complete you, wanting to have another person "on your side" in a way completely different than anyone else. Unconditional.

I guess I am still that romantic at heart...I was jaded and cynical for years, and I am still guarded, but I guess romantic love is all of the above...But there's different kinds of love...

The love I have for my family, and puppy, for instance, is different. Yes, it's unconditional. It's pure, unconditional, and comforting. Like a warm fire after a day in the snow...it's the kind that washes over you and makes you feel whole again (although I guess romantic love can be that too). It doesn't usually change, regardless of circumstance. It's a best friend who loves you no matter what you weigh, smell like, act like, or do for a living. Again, romantic love can be this too.

I guess...romantic love encompasses all forms of love? And then comes the distinction between love and sex...a few times today in class it was brought up how girls have a more difficult time differentiating between the two. Call me traditional and old-fashioned, but I can't have the second without the first. I made a mistake the first time around, and learned from it, but since then I have begun to see what is more important when it comes to that.

Love is...the Grand Canyon. In all its majesty. Endless. Deep. Beautiful. Miraculous. Perfectly flawed, etched by time. Love is...my puppy, sleeping contentedly after a long day. Love is...my boyfriend, looking into my eyes, like he can see into my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment