http://desnelson-canttamethisshrew.blogspot.com/
I hate the comparisons of "New Moon" to be the most romantic movie since "Titanic" and the most romantic movie of the year. I have only seen commercials for what is that, "365 Days of Summer" (?) and I think they are more romantic than "New Moon"...and "New Moon" doesn't deserve to be compared to "Titanic"...I love the series and I love the actors and I love the story, but it is NOT in the same category as "Titanic"!!!
I can NOT wait for the day when critics and movie fans worldwide accept the "Twilight" saga for what it is: a poorly orchestrated homage to the great love stories already told, stories that did not need to be retold (they were great as they were, and they've still be redone countless times)...grumble grumble grumble...
The story is cute...and unbelievably surreal...if you're a twelve year old girl who has been taught to believe that: yes, there is a Prince Charmimg; and yes, you will marry him without any problems; and yes, you will live wedded bliss (child and new car as icing on this already-perfect cake). ANYONE, regardless of age, sex, gender, creed, or ethnicity, who believes that, is seriously delusional. I back up this statement with a running theme through "He's Just Not That Into You": you are not the exception, you are the rule - he will only call if he wants to see you, yada yada yada (except, of course, at the end, the main [delusional] girl becomes the exception even after being told she is the rule...ahhh the morals and rules we teach our young generation)...
I swear, I am going to teach my children at a young age that: just because a boy pushes you, it does not mean he likes you; sometimes boys are jerks just because it is easier than being nice; sometimes boys won't call because they are lazy; you should only pick a mate who you actually like, not one who you think is good for you; never settle for anything less than what you deserve; don't ever second guess your self-worth because you are worth a helluva lot more than you can see; and a whole lot of other things that chick flicks seem to challenge.
In fact, I don't think I will promote chick flicks. I feel like they are too bubblegum and innocent and not real. Instead, I will promote and persuade my children to get into national geographic and discovery channel...LOL. It's all very ambitious. But I don't think we are sending out the right images to our kids. It has to change!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment