LOL I guess that phrase is terminology for a menopausal -aged (or almost), childless woman who is also sex deprived.
For the first act all she does is complain about this that or the other to her husband, who apparently has no interest in her. We then find out that this feline slept with some guy named Skipper (husband is Brick). Then on top of it, Brick's mom comes in and tells her that her man is now an alcoholic because she must be unsatisfying in bed.
How terrible is that?! Like, she probably worries that she's awful in bed...but then some old lady comes in and tells her so?! An older woman whose husband in the next act tells his son that at 65 he still desires women and is going to go out and bed every girl he can get!!!
And then I look at the publication date of the play...1954!! 1954!!! And there's all kinds of swearing and sexual conversation and I am thinking, why wasn't this book on more reading lists?! It makes sense that they wouldn't let us read it until college...when we're not so wet-behind-the-ears and can handle such scandalous conversations...
Cat on a hot tin roof...Cat who can jump down and probably land on all four legs (nine lives, right?) just to escape from the heated, cheap metal...but who doesn't want to take the risk of leaving the heat or take the risk of not landing on all fours....hmm...interesting...
A desperate housewife, trapped in a marriage that seems loveless, a marriage that only exists because she wants her father-in-laws 26,000 acre estate and some money too...trapped in the marriage because she is still childless and for her generation a woman is defined by her virility and fertility and ability to procreate while also satisfying her man. A woman who is defined by the money she doesn't have, never will have, never had...A woman who is defined by her failure of a husband who drinks himself into an abyss to escape the disgust in his life...How sad.
A woman so fired up from the desire for sex and no outlet for that sexual energy...So instead she channels it into hatred for her brother-in-law with five children and a sixth on the way, a living and mocking example of what she cannot have (regardless of the fact that the five children annoy her beyond belief). How lonely she must be...
I love my english honors class. It's the one class I don't need to be taking but I think I spend the most time doing homework for.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment